About Me

My photo
Hi I'm Jasmine AKA Jazzy...I'm a freshmen here @ UNCG and I'm very excited about being here!!! :)

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Assessing Value

Today we explored the Quad, Peabody Park, the Gatewood building, and more. I thought it was kind of cool how the Quad had it's own little turf. The trees and the rectangular structure of the buildings gave off the sense that it was territorial. I also couldn't believe that there used to be a dairy where Peabody Park is now located. I can't forget the Gatewood building; I loved the art that was inside the building.







*The Quad*
Why would they call that area “the quad”? One value that this area has and no other does, is that it is enclosed. It’s like a city within a city as we discussed in class today. The dorms that make up “the quad” are aligned in a rectangular way, which gives it a sense of being exclusive. As a matter of fact, several students that live in this “quad” are involved in fraternity/maternity groups. Most are upperclassmen, which also tells one that this area is very exclusive.
The Quad is also a popular spot for meetings and fun activities. The Quad can also be considered a “center”, as we discussed in class earlier this week. They have activities such as parties, games, and group meetings. Hmmm maybe I should go over there sometime!!! It gives other students who are not from “the quad“ community, an opportunity to explore or just have fun. The only downside about the buildings is that they have no air conditioning! Man, how do they survive in the summer time?!!
The Quad also has other features that give it that exclusive look. It has the sidewalks that are symmetrical and other mini sidewalks that lead to the circle that is in the center of the quad. Earlier in class, we were shown a picture of “the quad” from years and years ago. Today, “the quad” has grown several trees only on the inside, which gives off the sense of being exclusive again. I’m sure that “the quad” will bring back many memories to those that are currently here.





*Peabody Park*
Who in the world named this park Peabody?!!! What a name!!! Can you believe that Peabody Park used to be a dairy a long time ago?!! They had a barn for the processor and the cows for the dairy. As discussed in class earlier, they tore down the barn and in it’s place today is a five-hole golf course. It used to be eighteen holes but they had to reduce the land to thirty-four acres.
Peabody Park has the value of playing sports and natural life. Peabody Park is filled with all kinds of courts to play sports such as soccer, basketball, swimming, and volleyball. Did you ever wonder why UNCG didn’t have a football team? Well everybody ought to know that UNCG used to be a college for women only. So of course there was no women’s football team because football is for men only!!! This park is also filled with beautiful nature and wildlife. The big trees by the volleyball and basketball court is where most of the wildlife is living currently.
Have you ever noticed the paved path? As discussed in class, it used to be a dirt road where the woman would walk back and forth to class. This path was also made for women who were in P.E. because back then women were not considered ladies if they did other exercises besides walking. I mean, come on what’s so bad about running or doing jumping-jacks?!! I’m glad I wasn’t born in that time!



*Gatewood Building*
When I first saw Gatewood, I admired the clear windows so you could see inside the building. You ever notice the beautiful art in the main entrance? That’s the value of this building: beauty, art, and uniqueness. This building, in my opinion, represents the beauty of the campus. It has such fine texture and shape. I’m not sure what the sculpture is coming up the sidewalk toward Gatewood, but it fascinates me in a way.
The paintings on the wall are so beautiful and well classified. I wish I could buy one and hang it up in my room. The art also represents the beauty of our campus. Just think, some of the students that did or is still here at UNCG painted those paintings. Do you know how good that makes us, as the student body look?! Man I wish I was that artistic!
Today, we went up on the fourth floor to explore the rest of the building. Even though it was still under a little construction, I liked how it was designed. It would give me some ideas of how I want my ceiling and my floors made in my home one day. So in other words, this building has a unique interior. It tends to stand out from the other buildings on campus. I also liked how the exterior of the building is made out of glass because not many buildings are made that way. I wouldn’t mind having my office in a building like that. It gives a sense of being unique!

1 comment: